Saturday, May 9, 2009

Are We Really Helping? I think yes!

Traveling to third world countries can be extremely overwhelming for many of us who are fortunate enough to be part of that 28% of the world that lives above the poverty level. We tend to forget that many people in this world don't know where their next meal is coming from or when it will even be. When reality is thrown into our faces, by choice or circumstances, we can be taken by surprise in our reactions. Some of us go into denial, turn a blind eye, others of jump right in and try to help and still some are overwhelmed with sadness and a sense of uselessness.

No matter how we feel and weather we choose to ignore situations or not, they still exist. Where we are born does not dictate our worth as human beings. Whether we are rich, poor, light skinned, dark skinned, male, female, or anything in between, we all have the same universal needs. Love, food and water are only a few of those needs that should not be hard to obtain but some how they are for many.

If I can help just one person in this world to achieve some of those basic needs, I know I have made a difference. I am learning that I can not save the whole world or even one small community, but I can do a little, and sleep better (sometimes) knowing I have tried.

I once read a quote that went something like "The biggest mistake was made by the person who did nothing because he was afraid he could only do a little"

So just do a little and feel good about it. And don't forget to thank your mom.

No comments: